Happy Valentine’s Day guys and gals! Let you’re loved ones know how much they mean to you and be nice to strangers. Lord knows we all need more love… let that steep. XOXO
My dogs are my real life inspirations for this Valentine’s card. They say they love me A LOT.
I really like the way a bunch of eyes look… no pun intended. In design school we had to come up with a movie festival poster and I had the idea of a bunch of eyes. So I cut 100+ eyes out of magazines and collaged them together. I thought it looked awesome. My professor did not. But it’s an image/concept I always come back to. Remember this post?
I treat my nail polish as an accessory. I just don’t look right without painted nails.
An optional caption for this one was “don’t be a prick” but I didn’t think my grandmother would like that one very much. She’s old school like that.
I don’t know why but I had that Madonna song stuck in my head the other day so I decided to make it into a Valentine’s card. Now I really want some heart socks.
I’m a big fan of Valentine’s Day. Yes, I’m aware that it’s a “made-up holiday” but I don’t really care. Let’s celebrate all kinds of love you guys!
For the next seven days I’m going to post a hand drawn illustration for you to print, email, or text to your friend, parent, dog, and significant other.
Spread the love.
Over the Christmas break I watched a really interesting documentary about artist Cai Guo-Qiang called Sky Ladder. You can watch the trailer below…
I found Sky Ladder to be super inspiring as a creative AND as a human being. I would recommend this documentary to anyone that needs a little inspiration to persevere (all of us right?). The wide variety of art he makes really resonated with me. I have a lot of interests and I always feel like I need to choose one path but I can never decided. It was reassuring to see a prolific artist that didn’t choose just one path and is still successful. Granted he’s already “made it” which allows him the freedom to do whatever he wants but it’s still aspirational nonetheless.
Check out some of his work below:
Please let me know if you watch it and what you think! See more of his work here.
Happy Lunar New Year! And also it’s my 32nd birthday. I honestly don’t know how I got this old. But since this is my blog and I do what I want around here I thought I would share some random things about myself in my honor. We’re all allowed to be a little narcissistic on our birthday, right?
Here are 32 things you may or may not know about me:
- I wouldn’t be caught dead in the color yellow (unless I’m strangled with caution tape).
- I listen to podcasts every morning while getting ready for work.
- I’m obsessed with true crime. I’m really sad I didn’t come up with the podcast My Favorite Murder.
- My favorite shows as a kid were Rescue 9-1-1 and Unsolved Mysteries (I heard there’s a reboot!).
- I’m an ice cream fanatic from way back.
- I survived an ostrich attack. Ask me about it.
- I can talk endlessly about dogs, names, and dreams.
- My nails are painted 95% of the time.
- I had an imaginary friend named Krisen (Kristen without the T) that lived down a hilly road.
- I waved at Hilary Duff, Kelly Clarkson, and Justin Guarini in a hotel lobby in Los Angeles.
- My grandmother took me to a taping of the Price Is Right for my high school graduation.
- I HATE bananas but love banana bread.
- ENFP though I’m really like an extroverted introvert.
- The Wizard of Oz is my all time favorite movie.
- I would pretend to be a spy (remember, true crime) and my spy name was Mary J. Blige (same initials!).
- R.L. Stine was my childhood hero. (I may have written some fan fiction in 1995.)
- My first airplane ride was to Key West in 6th grade. I cried before we got on the plane.
- My first CD was No Doubt’s Tragic Kingdom.
- My first real concert was George Jones.
- I won a class spelling bee on the word “basin.” I then lost the grade bee on “cabbage.”
- In high school, I got a B in typing because I “talked too much.”
- My mother had a conference with my teacher in 5th grade because I “talked too much.”
- I have a weird aversion to the color purple unless it’s nail polish.
- I’m named after my great great grandmother (Molly) and my grandmother (Helen Joy).
- The first celebrity to appear in one of my dreams was Sean “Puffy” Combs. He gave me a car.
- I’m currently trying to quit my sugar addiction – just trying to eat less than usual.
- When people “nick” themselves in razor commercials it turns my stomach.
- I was the star of a play one time. Literally. I played a star named Twinkle.
- I was terrified of the Easter Bunny as a kid.
- I won a pull up contest in 8th grade. I did 20 legit, no kipping pull ups in a row.
- My current favorite snack is homemade popcorn with butter, rosemary, and sea salt (with a glass of red wine).
- I still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.
In a less vain post, I wrote about my 30th year here for my 31st birthday.
Whenever you feel overwhelmed, disheartened, stressed, challenged, disappointed, restless, anxious, sad, overworked, under appreciated, tired, tried, beat up, and down right depressed… remember that you can do hard things. YOU GOT THIS.
(I should know… I teach middle schoolers all day!)
To remind you, I made an iPhone wallpaper >>> You Got This Wallpaper <<< just give it a click